5 steps to a healthier weekend
Most people can do pretty good during the week. You get into a routine, you do your scheduled exercise program, and you handle your business. Then the weekend comes and it is laying on the couch surrounded by pizza boxes and bon bons. Maybe that's just me. Here is the official Huntsville Adventure Boot Camp Stay Healthy on the Weekend Plan.
1. Get 30 minutes of fun, physical activity in on Saturday and Sunday. Just get out and move for 30 straight minutes, preferably outdoors. Fresh air and sunshine do a body more good than you think. It can be a walk, a bike ride, chasing your kids (sometimes not classified as fun), etc... If it rains, I will even count some Wii games. I want you to be as active as possible, as often as possible. You can't just count on boot camp to reach your goals, you have to lead an overall healthier life. If you exercise for 5 hours a week, sleep for 8 hours a night, that still leaves 107 hours for you to make or break your fitness program. Find some healthy ways to fill in those gaps. Stand up more at work, park farther away, use the stairs. Little things become big things when you do them consistently.
2. Make better, bad choices. Choose the cheeseburger, small fries, and small drink over the Big Mac with Super Sized Drink and Fries, apple pie (Now with free stent for your heart!) Drink 3 55 calorie beers over the 6 margaritas. Choose the guy who is unemployed and missing some important teeth over the guy on Death Row.
3. Try to get it right 90% of the time. If you can do that, especially on the weekend, you will be doing better than most. Don't beat yourself up when you don't get every meal perfectly balanced with vitamins and nutrients. Pizzas happen, alcohol happens (a lot), just don't make it happen all the time.
4. Eliminate the negative self talk. Why would you ever talk bad about yourself? That's other people's jobs! Never talk bad about yourself, it doesn't do you or anybody else any good. Thoughts become reality, so pick the good ones.
5. Use Sunday as a day to prep your food for the week. Chop up vegetables and fruit. Bake, grill, or Crock Pot a large amount of healthy, lean proteins. Prepare healthy snacks for the week. The more you do to set yourself up for success, the better your results will be. You know how crazy the week gets, take advantage of this time to help yourself out. Think about what you eat when there is nothing to eat. Not good is it?