We do our boot camps outside pretty much year round. This time of year is the absolute best. Makes all the hot and cold days from the rest of the year worth it.
If you’ve never exercised outside on a regular basis, now is the time to give it a try. I think once you give it a try you will be hooked!
Here are 10 reasons you should take your workouts outside:
1. 50% greater improvement in mental health over gym workouts.
2. It decreases tension, anger, confusion, and depression
3. Increased rates of exercise compliance (easier to stick to your workout routine).
4. Vigorous, outdoor exercise increases energy and alertness better than a cup of coffee.
5. Increased Vitamin D levels. On a related note, people with low Vitamin D levels are twice as likely to be overweight than people with normal to high levels of Vitamin D.
6. Helps you sleep better at night.
7. Test subjects scored 50% better on a creativity study after exercising. Side note- you have to go technology -free for this one to work.
8. No need to worry about germs on the equipment during cold and flu season or waiting on a piece of equipment during your workout.
9. Better way to increase your fitness level, especially for runners. Dealing with wind, temperature changes, different terrain, etc... makes your body work harder, expend more energy, and become more resilient.
10. The variety of workouts you can do outside is only held back by your imagination.